If you wish to adopt a child overseas, comprehensive information is available on the Oranga Tamariki - Ministry for Children website.
Inter-country adoptions take time and money. If you are overseas for the purpose of an inter-country adoption you should:
- be aware that you are subject to the laws of the country you are in
- have access to enough money and ensure that you have a comprehensive travel insurance policy
- register your travel details on SafeTravel.
Consular Officers can provide New Zealanders travelling on a New Zealand Passport with:
- a list of English speaking lawyers
- notarial assistance including certifying true copies of documents or witnessing signatures (fees may apply).
Consular Officers cannot:
- become involved in the adoption process, for example, by certifying that you are of good character
- provide advice on the adoption process either in New Zealand or overseas
- speed up any adoption process.