If you wish to adopt a child overseas, comprehensive information is available on the Child, Youth and Family website.
Your nearest Adoption Information and Services Unit (AISU) of Child Youth and Family can assist you.
Inter-country adoptions take time and money. If you are overseas for the purpose of an inter-country adoption you should:
- have access to enough money to cover emergencies
- be aware that you are subject to the laws of the country you are in
- be prepared for delays
- register with us.
What Consular Officers can do
- provide you with a list of lawyers
- provide notarial assistance (certifying documents etc).
What Consular Officers cannot do
- become involved in the adoption process, for example by certifying that you are of good character
- provide advice on the adoption process either in New Zealand or overseas
- speed up the process, eg if there are delays.