If you lose your money and credit cards in a remote location, this is likely to mean a delay in accessing funds from home.
As a New Zealand citizen overseas, you have no right or claim to financial assistance from the New Zealand Government. If you find yourself in financial difficulties overseas, you can:
- Have your friends, family, or employer transfer money to you overseas through a commercial agency such as Moneygram or Western Union, phone 0800 270 000 from New Zealand or go to http://www.westernunion.co.nz/ to find the telephone number of the branch which is closest to you. This is generally the easiest and quickest way to access emergency funds overseas.
- Contact the issuing bank/agency to notify lost or stolen credit cards and traveller’s cheques. Most main banks have a website with advice and international free phone numbers.
- Ask your credit card company if they can advance funds temporarily.
- Arrange a funds transfer through your bank.
- Most main banks have a website with advice and international free phone numbers. Check your bank's website for international free calling numbers to report losses and seek assistance.
ANZ - http://www.anz.co.nz/personal/ or + 64 9 522 3010
ASB - http://www.asb.co.nz/ or + 64 9 306 3000
BNZ - http://www.bnz.co.nz/ or +64 4 473 5901
Kiwibank - http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/ or +64 4 473 11 33
Westpac - http://www.westpac.co.nz/ or +64 9 914 8026
TSB - http://www.tsb.co.nz/ or + 64 6 968 3700.
We can help by:
- Assisting you to contact family or friends to help you in transferring funds, if you are having trouble making contact with them.
- Transferring funds through the Ministry or via one of our embassies when there is no other option, for a fee.
- Pay your hotel, travel or other bills, legal or medical expenses or costs of returning a body to New Zealand.
- Give you money.
In very exceptional circumstances we may consider lending a small amount of money from public funds, which you are required to repay within 30 days. Any loan is at our discretion and depends on the particular circumstances of your financial distress. If the loan is not repaid, this will be pursued through a debt collection agency.