Widespread protests and demonstrations continue to take place in Catalonia, including in Barcelona, and are expected to carry on over the weekend. A general strike and large demonstration are planned for Friday 18 October. Transport services are likely to be affected and delays expected.
We advise New Zealanders in the area to:
- Avoid all protests and demonstrations, as even those intended to be peaceful have the potential to turn violent with little or no warning;
- Follow the advice of local authorities;
- Monitor the local news for updates (El País is available in English); and
- Contact your hotel/accommodation and travel company in advance to check if there are any disruptions (airport information, public transport).
We encourage all New Zealanders living and travelling offshore to register on SafeTravel. SafeTravel is the official registration facility for New Zealanders travelling or living overseas. If you register with us, we're able to relay important information and account for your safety and wellbeing as part of New Zealand's consular response to an overseas emergency.
Updated:18 Oct 2019, 11:05
Latest News features
- Chile: Ongoing Civil UnrestReviewed: 12 November 2019, 09:24 NZDT
- Bolivia: Civil UnrestReviewed: 12 November 2019, 09:10 NZDT
- Australia: BushfiresUpdated: 11 November 2019, 15:59 NZDT
- Pacific Cyclone Season: 1 November to 30 AprilReviewed: 6 November 2019, 09:19 NZDT
- India: Severe Air PollutionUpdated: 5 November 2019, 15:17 NZDT