Typhoon Mawar is currently tracking towards Guam and is forecast to make landfall as a category 4 Typhoon from Wednesday 24th May (local time). Typhoon Mawar may bring heavy rain and strong winds of up 251km/hr.
New Zealanders in Guam are advised to stay away from the affected areas as advised by local authorities, and to follow their advice including evacuation orders. Seek suitable shelter. Travellers staying in travel accommodation should follow the guidance of their accommodation management and/or tour operators. It is generally considered sensible practice not to venture outdoors and remain well away from the sea during a typhoon. It is also important to keep family and friends in New Zealand updated on your welfare.
Local transport links may be impacted. Contact your airline, travel agent, or travel provider directly to find out if your travel has been disrupted.
New Zealanders in Guam requiring emergency assistance should contact the local emergency services by dialling 911.
New Zealanders in Guam requiring consular assistance can contact the New Zealand Consulate-General in Honolulu (accredited to Guam) on +1 808 675 5555 or email: HLUEnquiries@mfat.govt.nz, or for emergencies after-hours on +64 99 20 20 20.
Posted:24 May 2023, 14:19
Latest News features
- Israel, the Occupied Palestinian Territories and Lebanon: Security SituationReviewed: 22 November 2023, 14:29 NZDT
- Solomon Islands: Pacific Games 2023Posted: 1 November 2023, 10:39 NZDT
- Pacific Cyclone Season: 1 November to 30 AprilReviewed: 26 October 2023, 14:45 NZDT
- Viet Nam: Motorcycle TravelPosted: 20 September 2023, 13:25 NZST
- Niger: Security SituationPosted: 2 August 2023, 10:52 NZST