Official advice for New Zealanders living and travelling overseas

Work and Income payments and NZ Super

Travelling overseas while receiving Work and Income payments, including NZ Super

If you receive a benefit or other payment, you must let Work and Income know of your travel plans and your reasons for travel before departing New Zealand. Partners travelling must also inform Work and Income.  If you don't do this, your payments will stop. 

If you receive NZ Superannuation (NZ Super) or Veteran's Pension and plan to go overseas for 26 weeks or less, you may also need to let Work and Income know.  If you're planning to go overseas for more than 26 weeks, you must meet certain criteria and apply to keep receiving NZ Super or Veteran's Pension.

See the Going overseas page on the Work and Income website for information about when you need to contact Work and Income and how you can do this, including online options. 


Other pages in this section: