A series of wildfires have broken out in California. Many people have been killed and thousands displaced from their homes since the fires broke out. Evacuation orders are in place in several areas and emergency shelters have been opened. The Governor's Office of Emergency Services has activated the State Operations Center to the highest level and is coordinating with other local, state and federal emergency response officials to address emergency management needs.
We recommend monitoring the media to keep up to date with local developments and to follow any instructions issued by the local authorities such as Fire and Rescue services (including evacuation orders). Be aware that air quality in some areas is poor due to smoke. New Zealanders in California should also let their friends and family back in New Zealand know about their safety and well-being.
Some useful links to monitor updates include:
Any New Zealanders requiring consular assistance should contact the New Zealand Consulate-General in Los Angeles on +1 310 566 6555 or at email@example.com.
New Zealanders in California are advised to update their registration information or take this opportunity to register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Reviewed:12 Nov 2018, 12:30
Latest News features
- Pacific Cyclone Season: 1 November to 30 AprilReviewed: 10 December 2018, 12:30 NZDT
- France: ProtestsReviewed: 3 December 2018, 10:40 NZDT
- Ukraine: Martial LawReviewed: 30 November 2018, 12:15 NZDT
- United States of America: California: WildfiresReviewed: 12 November 2018, 12:30 NZDT
- Travel InsuranceReviewed: 6 November 2018, 08:25 NZDT