New Zealanders travelling in Thailand are advised to take note of the following travel advisory from the Thai Government concerning the Royal Cremation of the late King His Majesty Bhumibol Adulyadej, which will take place from 25-29 October. Thailand will be mourning for the month of October, with some tourist activities like the October Koh Pha Ngan Full Moon party being cancelled.
Please note in particular the delays in transportation in Bangkok and possible route closures along Ratchadamnoen Avenue as well as those to the Grand Palace.
Visitors are asked to be mindful of the fact that this will be a sensitive time for Thailand. Visitors should wear respectful clothing and refrain from any behaviour that may be considered inappropriate during this time.
Updated:4 Oct 2017, 10:55
Latest News features
- Spain: Protests and StrikesReviewed: 20 October 2017, 12:30 NZDT
- Indonesia: Bali: Mount Agung VolcanoReviewed: 7 October 2017, 18:15 NZDT
- Vanuatu: Ambae Island VolcanoReviewed: 7 October 2017, 18:00 NZDT
- Thailand: Royal CremationUpdated: 4 October 2017, 10:55 NZDT
- United States of America: Changes to entry requirementsReviewed: 2 October 2017, 13:52 NZDT