Official advice for New Zealanders living and travelling overseas

News features

Riding Motorbikes and Scooters Overseas

Motorbikes and scooters are a great way to get around when you’re overseas, however accidents do happen and New Zealanders should ensure they have adequate travel insurance for all eventualities. 

If you intend hiring cars, motorbikes, jet skis or any other motorised vehicle while overseas, you should comply with local licensing laws. Talk to your travel insurer to check your insurance policy covers such activity and seek advice on any restrictions that may apply - such as whether you will be covered if you are not licensed to drive a motorbike in either New Zealand or the country you are travelling in. 

Travellers should be as safety conscious when on holiday as they would be in New Zealand, even when local laws appear to be more relaxed so don’t forget wearing a helmet goes hand in hand with riding your hired motorbike or scooter.

Associated Advisories:

Share this page:

Share this page:

Latest News features