The Pacific cyclone season runs from 1 November until 30 April.
New Zealanders travelling to the Pacific are encouraged to register their details with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Travellers who register can be warned if a major cyclone approaches and given advice on precautions to take. We can also make contact with you following a significant cyclone to check on your well-being.
If you are in an area affected by a cyclone, you should follow the advice of the local authorities at all times (including any evacuation orders) and seek suitable shelter. New Zealanders should follow the guidance of accommodation management. It is generally considered sensible practice not to venture outdoors during a cyclone and remain well away from the sea and rivers. We recommend that you stay informed of developments by monitoring local news and weather reports. Please also ensure that you keep your family and friends in New Zealand informed of your safety and well-being, including after a cyclone has passed.
Our current advice for New Zealanders considering offshore travel is: Do not travel overseas at this time due to the outbreak of COVID-19, associated health risks and widespread travel restrictions.
Pacific Island countries have been introducing measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 to their countries. If you choose to travel to Pacific Island countries despite our advice, check the entry requirements for each destination before travelling.
Travellers are also strongly encouraged to check the travel advice for their specific destination on SafeTravel and purchase comprehensive travel insurance.
- See the American Samoa travel advisory
- See the Cook Islands travel advisory
- See the Fiji travel advisory
- See the French Polynesia travel advisory
- See the Kiribati travel advisory
- See the Federated States of Micronesia travel advisory
- See the Nauru travel advisory
- See the New Caledonia travel advisory
- See the Niue travel advisory
- See the Northern Mariana Islands travel advisory
- See the Papua New Guinea travel advisory
- See the Samoa travel advisory
- See the Solomon Islands travel advisory
- See the Tokelau travel advisory
- See the Tonga travel advisory
- See the Vanuatu travel advisory
Reviewed:16 Nov 2020, 12:31
Latest News features
- Pacific Cyclone Season: 1 November to 30 AprilReviewed: 16 November 2020, 12:31 NZDT
- COVID-19: Advice for New Zealanders OverseasReviewed: 16 November 2020, 12:30 NZDT
- United States: 2020 Presidential ElectionsReviewed: 12 November 2020, 08:20 NZDT
- Thailand: DemonstrationsReviewed: 4 November 2020, 10:28 NZDT