New Zealanders with unpaid debts overseas may be detained on arrival at the airport by the local authorities, including when in transit. You may also find yourself prevented from departure until a debt is settled or a dispute is resolved. This includes cases of outstanding accommodation bills from previous visits, medical fees, missed loan repayments, bounced cheques, and unresolved commercial and civil disputes. We encourage all New Zealanders to settle all debts including bill payments prior to returning to New Zealand.
Posted:15 Mar 2016, 16:34
Latest News features
- 2018 FIFA World CupPosted: 8 June 2018, 14:08 NZST
- Guatemala: Fuego VolcanoUpdated: 5 June 2018, 16:38 NZST
- Hawaii: Kilauea Volcano Reviewed: 28 May 2018, 14:15 NZST
- Nicaragua: Civil UnrestReviewed: 28 May 2018, 14:10 NZST
- Dengue Fever outbreakReviewed: 28 May 2018, 14:01 NZST