New Zealanders with unpaid debts overseas may be detained on arrival at the airport by the local authorities, including when in transit. You may also find yourself prevented from departure until a debt is settled or a dispute is resolved. This includes cases of outstanding accommodation bills from previous visits, medical fees, missed loan repayments, bounced cheques, and unresolved commercial and civil disputes. We encourage all New Zealanders to settle all debts including bill payments prior to returning to New Zealand.
Posted:15 Mar 2016, 16:34
Latest News features
- Mexico: 7.1 Magnitude EarthquakeUpdated: 21 September 2017, 12:10 NZST
- Caribbean: Hurricane MariaUpdated: 21 September 2017, 12:05 NZST
- Indonesia: Bali: Mount Agung VolcanoUpdated: 19 September 2017, 17:20 NZST
- Germany: Oktoberfest 2017Updated: 1 September 2017, 16:15 NZST
- Dengue Fever outbreakUpdated: 30 August 2017, 14:40 NZST