New Zealanders with unpaid debts overseas may be detained on arrival at the airport by the local authorities, including when in transit. You may also find yourself prevented from departure until a debt is settled or a dispute is resolved. This includes cases of outstanding accommodation bills from previous visits, medical fees, missed loan repayments, bounced cheques, and unresolved commercial and civil disputes. We encourage all New Zealanders to settle all debts including bill payments prior to returning to New Zealand.
Reviewed:21 Jan 2020, 11:58
Latest News features
- California: WildfiresReviewed: 14 August 2020, 09:12 NZST
- COVID-19: Advice for New Zealanders OverseasReviewed: 13 August 2020, 17:34 NZST
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus)Reviewed: 13 August 2020, 17:20 NZST
- Hong Kong: Demonstrations and National Security LegislationReviewed: 13 August 2020, 17:12 NZST
- Protests and Demonstrations around the United StatesReviewed: 13 August 2020, 17:10 NZST