New Zealanders with unpaid debts overseas may be detained on arrival at the airport by the local authorities, including when in transit. You may also find yourself prevented from departure until a debt is settled or a dispute is resolved. This includes cases of outstanding accommodation bills from previous visits, medical fees, missed loan repayments, bounced cheques, and unresolved commercial and civil disputes. We encourage all New Zealanders to settle all debts including bill payments prior to returning to New Zealand.
Posted:15 Mar 2016, 16:34
Latest News features
- South Korea: Pyeongchang Winter Olympics 2018Reviewed: 17 January 2018, 17:05 NZDT
- Iran - Civil UnrestReviewed: 17 January 2018, 17:00 NZDT
- Travelling in the Festive SeasonReviewed: 17 January 2018, 16:55 NZDT
- Pacific Cyclone Season: 1 November to 30 AprilReviewed: 17 January 2018, 16:50 NZDT
- Dengue Fever outbreakUpdated: 17 January 2018, 16:45 NZDT