Major wildfires are severely affecting both Northern and Southern California. A state-wide state of emergency has been declared by the California Governor, and a number of evacuation orders have been issued, in some areas mandatory. Local power companies have cut power across various locations in the state in an attempt to prevent wildfires. Details of affected areas, health services, preparedness information, and emergency shelters can be found on the State of California emergency response portal.
We recommend monitoring the media to keep up to date with local developments and to follow any instructions issued by the local authorities such as Fire and Rescue services (including evacuation orders). Be aware that air quality in some areas is poor due to smoke.
Any New Zealanders requiring consular assistance should contact the New Zealand Consulate-General in Los Angeles on +1 310 566 6555 or at email@example.com.
New Zealanders in California are advised to update their registration information or take this opportunity to register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Reviewed:30 Oct 2019, 13:06
Latest News features
- Chile: Ongoing Civil UnrestReviewed: 12 November 2019, 09:24 NZDT
- Bolivia: Civil UnrestReviewed: 12 November 2019, 09:10 NZDT
- Australia: BushfiresUpdated: 11 November 2019, 15:59 NZDT
- Pacific Cyclone Season: 1 November to 30 AprilReviewed: 6 November 2019, 09:19 NZDT
- India: Severe Air PollutionUpdated: 5 November 2019, 15:17 NZDT