Official advice for New Zealanders living and travelling overseas

News features

Australia: Bushfires

Bushfires are a common threat in Australia during the summer period. If you are in or near an affected area, stay safe and follow the advice of local authorities.

In the event of emergency, always call Triple Zero (000).

Details of affected areas, health services, preparedness information, and evacuation centres can be found at the following sites:

Australian Capital Territory:

ACT Emergency Services Agency

New South Wales:
New South Wales Rural Fire Service ,
New South Wales Government Emergency Management

Northern Territory:
NT Department of Environment and Natural Resource

Queensland Rural Fire Service ,
Queensland Fire & Emergency Services

South Australia:
South Australian County Fire Service

Vic Emergency

Western Australia:
Emergency WA

We recommend monitoring the media to keep up to date with local developments and to follow any instructions issued by the local authorities, including evacuation orders. Be aware that air quality in some areas is poor due to smoke.

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology  website gives local weather and air quality predictions for a 7 day period. Visit the website of the NSW Government for current air quality reports  and for health advice  relating to specific air quality indexes.

Any New Zealanders requiring consular assistance should contact the nearest New Zealand Embassy or Consulate General. Details of New Zealand’s representation in Australia can be found on the Australia travel advisory.

We encourage all New Zealanders living and travelling offshore to register on SafeTravel. SafeTravel is the official registration facility for New Zealanders travelling or living overseas. If you register with us, we're able to relay important information and account for your safety and wellbeing as part of New Zealand's consular response to an overseas emergency.

Associated Advisories:

Share this page:

Share this page:

Latest News features