The terrorist attacks in Christchurch on 15 March, which were motivated by extreme right-wing ideology, have attracted global attention and strong international condemnation. International reactions to those events are difficult to predict and may change at short notice.
New Zealanders travelling overseas should continue to use common sense, exercise caution and be vigilant. They should look out for and report suspicious behaviour, as they would in New Zealand. New Zealanders should continue to monitor the media and other sources for information about possible new safety or security threats, and follow the advice of local authorities. New Zealanders should also continue to avoid demonstrations and protests, as they can turn violent.
New Zealanders seeking information about specific destinations should read our individual advisories, which are regularly reviewed.
Posted:18 Mar 2019, 14:10
Latest News features
- Hong Kong: Ongoing ProtestsReviewed: 16 August 2019, 10:35 NZST
- Saudi Arabia: Hajj Pilgrimage 2019Reviewed: 30 July 2019, 13:40 NZST
- Egypt: Suspension of FlightsReviewed: 22 July 2019, 18:00 NZST
- Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo: Ebola Virus Reviewed: 17 July 2019, 10:00 NZST
- South Africa: VisasUpdated: 15 July 2019, 09:55 NZST