The terrorist attacks in Christchurch on 15 March, which were motivated by extreme right-wing ideology, have attracted global attention and strong international condemnation. International reactions to those events are difficult to predict and may change at short notice.
New Zealanders travelling overseas should continue to use common sense, exercise caution and be vigilant. They should look out for and report suspicious behaviour, as they would in New Zealand. New Zealanders should continue to monitor the media and other sources for information about possible new safety or security threats, and follow the advice of local authorities. New Zealanders should also continue to avoid demonstrations and protests, as they can turn violent.
New Zealanders seeking information about specific destinations should read our individual advisories, which are regularly reviewed.
Posted:18 Mar 2019, 14:10
Latest News features
- Sri Lanka - Explosions in and near ColomboUpdated: 23 April 2019, 11:36 NZST
- Anzac Day 2019: Gallipoli CommemorationsReviewed: 8 April 2019, 16:55 NZST
- Advice for New Zealanders overseasPosted: 18 March 2019, 14:10 NZDT
- Istanbul, Turkey: Airport OpeningReviewed: 12 March 2019, 15:45 NZDT
- Are you a New Zealander living in the UK or travelling to the UK?Reviewed: 1 March 2019, 14:45 NZDT