Going away? Living Overseas? Let us know!
Register your overseas travel and/or residential details here.
If you wish to adopt a child overseas, comprehensive information is available on the Child, Youth and Family [external link] website.
Your nearest Adoption Information and Services Unit (AISU) of Child Youth and Family can assist you.
Intercountry adoptions take time and money. If you are overseas for the purpose of an intercountry adoption you should:
- have access to enough money to cover emergencies
- be aware that you are subject to the laws of the country you are in
- be prepared for delays
- register with us.
Consular Officers can:
- provide you with a list of lawyers
- provide notarial assistance (certifying documents etc).
Consular Officers cannot:
- become involved in the adoption process, for example by certifying that you are of good character
- provide advice on the adoption process either in New Zealand or overseas
- speed up the process, eg if there are delays.
Print this page
Page last updated: Thursday, 17 February 2011, 16:53 NZDT